Monday, January 3, 2011

Gamer Bully

It happened quickly. In the midst of a fierce firefight, grenades and bullets raining from above, a voice buzzed in my headset. He had found me. We were the only ones. And he provoked me to speak.

I said nothing, of course. I’m not much a talker while playing online. Occasionally I’ll exchange friendly banter when my friends are online, but in this case I wasn’t eager to entertain another banal conversation.

Again, he probed. “If you have a headset, you’ve got to talk. It’s annoying when people don’t talk.”

Again, I ignored him. But he continued. “I hate you people who don’t talk. Just talk already.”
When I finished the game, I turned off my console, but the feeling of being “gamer bullied” stuck with me. It’s laughable, but it’s true.

Most of us are mature enough to recognize when bullying occurs. And with so much attention being thrust upon the issue of bullying in schools across the nation, there is more information available on bullying than ever before. But is it possible that we’re forgetting the “gamer bully?”

As an educator and gamer, I like to think that the old social stigma placed on “gamers” has disappeared and people from all walks of life can come together over a video game and find some common ground to stand on. My own students, students who wouldn’t normally speak, have found a common interest in Call of Duty.

I guess, in the end, I hope that more of the later occurs. Let’s come together and enjoy friendly competition instead of creating more conflict than what appears on the screen!

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same way, I play black ops and constantly deal with that small group who think there super hard so they start "talking S***". Thank you though Treyarch for the mute button, that is what I do and I suggest to anyone playing any Live game that you just mute them and don't let them bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that game,and i agree with you about the enjoyable competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have the same conflict with many other people. They just try to start stuff with people who just want to have some fun. I agree with this post and I enjoy to have friendly competitions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree. i think that people should keep the competition friendly, and not see it as a competition that they have to bully someone over the game if they don't do what he/she says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mute! You're right. I wish we all had mute buttons so we could mute bullying in all situations. I'm glad that you all are aware of the idea of how bullying can affect a person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've encountered a couple bullies through live games, for some reasons they get entertained by saying something to random players in the game, if you ignore them they usually stop. If they don't and if your with your friends try to kick them or file a complaint and they will get banned for a while.

    ReplyDelete