Saturday, January 29, 2011

How Much is Too Much?

A colleague of mine recently said to me, "My students are finally able to learn at home and discuss and enjoy the learning in class."  I've thought about this statement for days and have finally realized that it has been burning in my mind because it turns all we think about education upside down. 

For the most part, teachers "teach" in the classroom and students "learn" in the classroom.  Homework is a form of practice and application of those ideas they've taken from a lesson or lecture in school.  But how much is too much? 

Most teachers assign homework as an application of the ideas the students have learned in class.  The application of the notes or lesson serves an important purpose as it allows the students time to practice what they've learned in class.  Of course this makes sense!  But how much is too much?  When does homework lose its impact?

If students learn at home and apply, practice, discuss, and interact with the learning at school, homework takes on a whole new meaning.  It's at home where the students prepare to "show and tell" when they come to the classroom.  Each student would have his or her own response to learning material individually and be able to share those ideas in the classroom; and other students will be able to share and collaborate as well. 

In the end, while I haven't made and drastic changes yet, I've been forced to re-define what homework means in my classroom.  And I know that the changes will come soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment